Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Triumphant Return!

So, while I haven't been able to blog lately, I have been busy making lots of fun things - much of it with resin. It is some of the resin items I will be showcasing today.

First, we have my favorite piece I have done in resin so far. This pendant was originally created using polymer clay. I rolled the clay out, stamped it, and then cut it to shape. Once the clay was baked and sanded, I used 2 part mold putty to make a mold of it. I actually made two molds - the first one wrapped around the edge of the piece and made the resin reproduction come out needing a LOT of finishing. So, I did it again making sure that the mold putty stopped level with the back of the piece and no wrapping. This helped my resin pieces come out much better!

Once I had a mold, I did two pours of resin to get the multi colored look. I have made several of these in different shades (you can see them on my etsy shop) but the combination I like best so far is this white and black version. I liked it so much I didn't even do a final coat of resin to make it glossy, as the matte look was awesome!

white_fancy_closeup

Next I did a similar process to make this butterfly pendant. Not completely happy with my color combos yet, but I will keep working on it.

butterfly9_detail

Now, I have found that when you mix resin to make a pendant or two, you almost always end up with several drops left over. I could just throw these away. Instead, I am making small items with them, like these leaf beads and small earrings.

leaves

resin_earrings

Ok, I am gonna cut this post here for now, but I have lots more to share, so be sure to come back later in the week!
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...