Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bedtime woes...

Do you sit on the edge of your bed and lay back, or do you climb into bed on your knees and flip over?

I was always the climb in type. Probably because I am short and have a fairly tall bed, so sitting on the side is awkward at best. And climbing in is just more fun!

I haven't mentioned it, but I was bitten by a spider this summer. A fun result of the spider bite is some really bad arthritis in my knees. My doctor calls it "reactive arthritis" and says it can last about 6 months. I hate it. I hate it hate it hate it hate it HATE IT! Did I mention, I hate it?

I am a heavy girl and I have asthma, so I have never been the most active person in the world, but to have to struggle to stand or just walk across a room is really really frustrating. Part of my job is walking around and helping people, and I can't do that right now. Shopping is a major issue. Waiting in a line is nearly unbearable. I had to fly earlier this week and that was... horrendous is the word that comes to mind. I am on the verge of buying a shower chair... and I'm only 38 (or will be in a month).

But the worst of the restrictions this temporary (oh god let it be temporary!) condition has put on me, is that I can no longer climb into bed. Can't put the pressure on my knees. I forget and try, it gets ugly. So, I am learning to sit sedately on the edge of the bed, and lay back. It's dignified, and mature, and I hate it.

I once heard it said that you know you are old when people stop telling you that you will break your neck and start telling you that you will break a hip... I think I am there.
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...