Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Names Matter

So, I have a name is that frequently spelled wrong... and it really bugs me. It shouldn't. I should be able to shrug it off and not worry if someone gets it wrong. I mean, really, how much does it matter? Do I know they are talking about me? Yes. So, why does it bother me sooooooo very much?

Because names matter.

I believe that one of the main things that makes people people is that we name things. There are other animals that problem solve, there are ones that use tools. We are the only ones that name things. This allows us to view our world differently. To organize it. Categorize it.

In my mind, Sara is not at all the same as Sarah. Even though it sounds the same, it is not the same name at all. When people ask me how I spell my name, I say " S - A - R - A - H. The H is for visual balance." And I say it as a joke, but is it? To me, Sara is some hot young thing who dances and stays out all night. Sarah, however, is that Aunt you love who comes over on weekends to do crafts with you.

Anyway, what set this rant off, was seeing yet another person link to my blog and insist on capitalizing salla. Spelling it in all lower case is actually a deliberate referance back to my real name (Sarah Small). When I send people my blog name, I very carefully spell it in all lowercase. And yet... and yet people insist on the capitalization. Blah.
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...