Saturday, September 24, 2011

Challenges and how far we've come

So,I completed my entry for the October Etsy Beadweavers challenge today. The challenge was to create a beadwoven piece that was inspired by the works of Pablo Picasso. I knew of Picasso but not much more than that he did paintings with some really messed up faces. So, being the internet junky that I am, the first think I did was a Google image search. Whoah! This guy did a lot more than just some tripped out paintings. The thing that really struck me was his sculptures. While the paintings play with perspective in a flat way that doesn't really speak to me, the scuplture did. The idea of walking around a piece and seeing something different from each angle really intrigued me. So, I made this trinket box.

SAM_1105

On another note, while doing some sporadic cleaning in my studio area I found one of the first peyote pieces I ever made. It was made with beads that had been given to me, before I discovered Delicas or Tohos. They are shiny and that is about all they have going for them. Really shiny. If you look closely at the pictures you can see where the beadwork has some major flaws, parts that look like they are about to fall apart. Strange how far my work has come in just a few years.

SAM_1120
SAM_1121

Quote: Inspiration does exist, but it must find you working.
Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973)
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...