Thursday, January 27, 2011

Constructive Ring a Week - 2


constructive
Originally uploaded by sallaevilincarnate
So I have been working on this ring for a while, but I finally finiished it this weekend.

I started by coating small squares of contruction paper with resin, then stacking them, putting a weight on top, and letting them set. Once the resin was hardened, I used a jeweler's saw to cut out the basic ring shape, and then used sandpaper to refine it. Once I was happy with it, I did a final dip in the resin (actually, 2 dips - one for each side).

I am really happy with the result, but I did learn some things:
Always wear a mask when sawing resin coated construction paper - lots of dust!
Use several layers of each color to get more easily discerned strips.
Invest in a set of carving tools!

Quote: It's important that someone celebrate our existence... People are the only mirror we have to see ourselves in. The domain of all meaning. All virtue, all evil, are contained only in people. There is none in the universe at large. Solitary confinement is a punishment in every human culture.
Lois McMaster Bujold, "Mirror Dance", 1994
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...